Thursday, May 16, 2013

The importance of birthdays

So yesterday I turned seventeen. YAY FOR ME.
*cue out-of-tune rendition of 'Happy Birthday'*

I'd have to say birthdays are one of the most important things to me (both my own and others'). I believe everyone deserves to be spoiled rotten on their birthday, and I was so fortunate this year to have some truly wonderful people organize a surprise for me. 

When I went to fetch something from my locker, I was pleasantly shocked to discover it had been decorated with balloons, confetti, streamers, gifts and posters with colourful 'Happy Birthday's written on them.
It was so wonderful that I cried.

Oh, and among my gifts, two of my friends gave me condoms. HARDY HAR HAR.
(Hurrah for being the legal age.)

Then at recess we sat in a circle and ate chocolate and cookie dough and sang Happy Birthday for the entire hallway to hear. It was a truly memorable day.

This, people, is EXACTLY how birthdays are meant to be. Making somebody's birthday a day to remember is a small thing. But it can make such a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment